Pongal is a rice dish made in south india with rice and lentils. I love it mainly for its simplicity and rich taste and its a one-pot meal solution (by increasing the spice-level a bit), if you donot wish to make a side (aka chutney or sambhar) for it.
Prep for it:
* Soak about 1 cup of rice + 1/2 cup of yellow moong dhal together for 10 minutes, rinse well and set aside.
* 1 tsp of whole black pepper
* few curry leaves
* 1/2 inch ginger chopped finely
* 3 green chillies chopped finely (this is optional if you are making a chutney, I added green chillies as I skipped the side).
* 2 tbps of butter/margarine + 1tbsp of ghee
* 1 tsp of jeera
In a pressure cook, melt the butter, add jeera + black pepper and let it warm up for 40 secs. Add the green chillies + ginger+ curry leaves saute for few secs, and add the rice+dhal mix and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add about 1:2 cups ratio of water and salt to taste. For the above measure, I added about 3.5 cups of water. I like mine a bit dry, hence around 1:2 ratio works for me. Pressure cook it for about 2 whistles, and once the pressure is released, add the ghee and mix thoroughly and set it hot.
Notes & Tips: If you want to make the traditional version of pongal, then this is not it, which is slightly different from the above.